Friday, July 9, 2010

An Open Letter to the Lone Star State


Dear Texas,

You've been a good friend to me, always been there for me my whole life. After all, your Indian name Tejas means "friend."

Now, you are fickle and antagonistic at times: I can recall numerous times it's snowed on Easter and I've worn shorts in December. Why so difficult? It's okay though...

Your people are proud - perhaps to a fault?! Texas was once it's own country, brews its own beer , and has everything from superhighways to farm-to-market roads. We have our own type of music and dancing, food, culture and customs. No doubt I will miss my favorite Tex-Mex when I'm gone. We Texans have our own style, borrowed a little from the south and a little from the west and call it cowboy chic. I will miss the hairspray and teased hair.

We have beaches, mountains, canyons and plains. We have windy days and rainy days - but if I don't like the weather - I'll wait it out 15 minutes then it's gone. There's nothing like a Lubbock thunderstorm - watching the lightning from my college apartment balcony was fabulous.

Texas - I'm moving on now. It's not you ... we've certainly had some great times. There's a mysterious allure of "The South" that I must follow ... but I'll be back soon.

Lots of love,
Stephanie M.

2 comments:

lauren said...

this is awesome. "that guy sooo just littered! He soooo just messed with texas!"

Rachel said...

awe...texas misses you already. I dont know if this break up will last...