Monday, November 22, 2010

Comfort Soup


It's been quite the weekend. Doug and I had some great quality time together after he got back from the real estate competition in Austin. (His team placed third, yeah!)

Sunday as we were driving to church I saw a text message from a former co-worker and friend saying that another co-worker and friend, Debbie, passed away that morning. I first mentioned about her here and since that time her health somewhat turned a corner, but never fully.

Heavy, heavy, heavy.

Crazy to think how life changes so suddenly, unexpectedly.

Several years ago, Debbie shared a fantastic tortilla soup recipe with me that I have made over and over. I haven't served it to a single person who didn't love it. I actually randomly made it Friday and we ate it all weekend. I have always thought of Debbie when I make this soup and I always will. I actually have a pot on the stove right now simmering because there's a soup lunch cook-off tomorrow at work. (By the way, it's so easy, as long as you have a can opener you can pull this recipe off.)

Sometime over the holidays make this soup and share it with people you love. I firmly believe good meals shared with friends can be healing and that life happens around the dinner table!

Debbie's Tortilla Soup
3 large cans chicken
1 small onion, diced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Ranch style beans (any combination of your favorite beans works here)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Add all the ingredients in a soup pot, and bring to a boil, stirring to blend ingredients. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until onions are clear (about 20 min.) Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and top with cheddar or jack cheese and avocado slices. It's even better the second day. :)

*Sending love and prayers to the Puett family.

No comments: